Posted on

With the closure of the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme (CJRS) on 30 September, it’s well worth considering the steps you’ll need to take for your employees and your business.

To assist employers, HMRC have prepared a list of the most frequently asked questions: 

What should I do when the scheme closes?

You’ll need to:

  • bring your employees back to work on their agreed terms and conditions
  • agree any changes to their terms and conditions with them, or
  • consider ending their employment

When making decisions about how and when to end furlough arrangements, equality and discrimination laws will apply in the usual way. For more information search 'Job Retention Scheme' on GOV.UK.

When is my last claim for the CJRS?

The last day that you will be able to claim for is 30 September. Final claims for September must be submitted by Thursday 14 October.

Can I claim CJRS for employees on notice periods? 

You cannot claim CJRS grants for any days your employee is serving a contractual or statutory notice period, including notice of retirement, resignation or redundancy.

What support is available for my employees if I’m unable to bring them back to work?

There’s UK Government support available for your employees through the JobHelp website, offering a range of support, training and advice, to help people find their next opportunity. This includes the Kickstart scheme and other Plan for Jobs support measures, along with advice on learning new skills and sectors which are recruiting. Search 'Plan for Jobs programmes' on GOV.UK for more information.

Normal redundancy rules and protections apply to furloughed employees – search 'redundancy rules' on GOV.UK for more information.  

What support is available to help my business grow after the CJRS has closed?

If you’re looking to grow your business, the UK Government Help to Grow scheme offers management and digital programmes to help you learn new skills and reach more customers. To register your interest, search 'Help to Grow' on GOV.UK.

If you’re considering taking on new employees, there’s a range of UK Government support available to help your business, including placements, apprenticeships and training opportunities. Search 'Plan for Jobs programmes for employers' on GOV.UK to find out how your business could benefit.

How we can help

We will be pleased to help if you require up to date management information, or if you’re wondering about making staff redundant and need help with financial calculations. Please drop me a line at martin.johnson@torgersens.com.

About the Author

Martin Johnson Image

Martin Johnson

With expertise in advising family-owned companies on a range of tax, accountancy and business issues, Martin also has an in-depth knowledge of the automotive and property sectors. In addition, he provides advice on inheritance tax planning and financial management to owner-managed businesses.  Martin leads the firm in developing its expertise in the buy-to-let sector, advising both residential and commercial property owners on relevant tax and legislation issues. A further element to Martin’s role is to build Torgersens’ relationships with banks, financial advisors and specialists in commercial and employment law to ensure that the firm’s clients have access to market-leading guidance.  

To get in touch please e-mail martin.johnson@torgersens.com.

Share this story...

More Stories

VAT rate to increase from 1 October for tourism and hospitality sectors

VAT rate to increase from 1 October for tourism and hospitality sectors

Q&A: Do I add VAT to an invoice for work in the Channel Islands?

Q&A: Do I add VAT to an invoice for work in the Channel Islands?

NIC and dividend tax rates to increase by 1.25%

NIC and dividend tax rates to increase by 1.25%